22nd April 2021
To mark World Earth Day, today, we share our vision for Martin’s Properties Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) commitments as we seek to play our part and set new industry standards.
Martin’s Properties has been a major landlord and developer spanning four generations of the Martin’s family. Under Richard Bourne’s stewardship our ESG credentials have been brought into sharp focus as we reflect and take a lead in our role as custodians of the Martin’s Properties portfolio. Within this role we look to improve the function of our assets, protect our environment and positively contribute towards our community for generations to come.
Summarised below is our ESG policy which works hand-in-hand with our shareholders, tenants and stakeholders to set new standards as collectively we strive to achieve a zero-carbon economy.
- We will apply ESG principles to all areas of investment and business activity
- Through our property ownership we will strive to improve the environment for our customers and stakeholders through measures such as reducing carbon emissions, supporting local businesses and reducing the need for travel
- Any company cars will be powered by renewable sources
- We will employ local and sustainable methods of construction and management and ensure all developments achieve BREEAM very good or above
- We will not hold a property with an EPC below a C rating or capable of improvement
- We will encourage more ethically, socially responsible and environmentally sustainable behaviour by our customers through the use of green leases
- We will not invest in or trade with companies or properties with activities that harm society or the environment
- We will invest in and trade with companies and properties that operate responsible business practices, and support businesses that make a positive contribution to society and the environment
- Martin’s Properties and its employees will undertake charitable events on a regular basis to support selected charities that offer support to local and national endeavours. All charities we support will give back at least 80% of funds raised to those in need
Outside of our current portfolio our ESG commitments will shape our acquisition strategy as we seek to invest up to £30m of equity in a number of opportunities, within the remits of our ESG agenda and focus on opportunities where we can add value to the environmental and social credentials of the building.
We have recently appointed consultants, Cundall, to review and maximise our ESG commitment by implementing a strategy and setting targets across all areas of the business to ensure we meet our goal of becoming an industry leader and really helping to make a difference for future generations.