22nd March 2020
Covid 19 Update
In over 70 years of Martin’s Properties history, never, have we faced such challenging and unprecedented times.
We began disaster emergency planning 18 months ago, during which time our committee has been planning for a situation that might require us to undertake mass home working and use cloud-based systems. We must be grateful that technology has enabled us to switch to remote working overnight and effectively run our business whilst protecting the well-being of our staff, customers, suppliers and the wider community, which is of the utmost importance.
We are operating with full functionality and endeavour to continue maintaining our properties to the highest possible standards. We have also implemented a number of measures including a triage questionnaire for all customers and suppliers to complete prior to entering any of our buildings and we have a checklist of health and safety measures all parties must comply with.
We appreciate that this is a difficult time for everyone, not only us. Our thoughts are with all of our customers and suppliers at this time and especially those who are not able to operate remotely. We welcome the Government’s support for businesses and staff including:
- a Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
- a Statutory Sick Pay relief package for SMEs
- a 12-month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality, leisure and nursery businesses in England
- small business grant funding of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief
- grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
- the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme offering loans of up to £5 million for SMEs through the British Business Bank
- a new lending facility from the Bank of England to help support liquidity among larger firms, helping them bridge coronavirus disruption to their cash flows through loans
- the HMRC Time To Pay Scheme
We continue to monitor the situation and offer help and support to our customers. Some businesses have been particularly badly affected – many of our retail, F&B and leisure customers have been forced to close. We are talking to each and every customer to understand the difficulties they face and offer our practical and financial assistance where possible.
Against a backdrop of challenge and uncertainty our company values: team work, putting our customers first and being transparent in our communication are more important than ever. We are here to help. Together as a team we will support each other as much as possible and ensure the disruption to our lives and businesses is kept to a minimum as we collectively fight Covid-19 as one.
On behalf of the team here at Martin’s Properties, I wish you good health and thank you for your continued support.
Please do keep in touch via our social media channels where we will share insights and customer updates. We all look forward to the other side of this and it will be interesting to see how the global real estate industry deals with this challenge – being adaptable, flexible and collaborative will be crucial.