Founded by the Martin family in 1946 we are proud to have created one of the largest private property portfolios within the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea. Our business has seen many governments and financial cycles and proven itself agile and considered in its growth strategy over many decades. One thing has never changed: our commitment to the areas we invest in and the stakeholders we work with. Our most valued asset is the company’s hard-earned reputation for reliability, quality and friendliness, setting us apart in our industry as investors, landlords and property developers.
George and Kay Martin moved their electrical retail business to the Kings Road, Chelsea.
Their son, Peter Martin joined them after national service and together they grew this business.
Between 1950 & 1956 George and Kay Martin acquired houses in Royal Avenue, Sydney Street, Way Place, and Cheltenham Terrace.
Peter Martin made his first property investment in Munro Terrace, comprising of a block of flats with a retail unit on the ground floor.
Peter Martin acquired the Freehold of Whitelands House, King’s Road. Comprising eight retail units, a public car park, 105 apartments and an office suite.
Peter continued to expand the portfolio with more commercial properties, including 190-196 Walton Street.
Menin Works, Bond Road was an Industrial estate in Mitcham. The leases were re-geared and was then sold to an Industrial
Peter sold the electrical business a month before black Monday. By this time his business had acquired a number of properties in the area. In selling the retail business, capital was returned to concentrate on building the property investment business which had garnered a reputation for reliability, quality and customer focus which is central to the business’s ethos today .
Peter developed the airspace on Whitelands House into four penthouses.
Lancaster Mews Richmond – was single storey garages. Planning consent was agreed to develop 6 townhouses and was sold to a local developer.
York House, nursing home in Berners, Eastcastle and Newmans Streets W1 was purchased and promoted through the planning process and was sold with planning consent to Berkeley Homes.
Twyford Tip Land field site in Park Royal was bought from the local authority subsequent planning consent was secured for a 200,000 sq ft data centre which was then sold to Global Switch.
Martin’s Properties purchased the iconic Fulham Road Cinema.
In a joint venture with the South Kensington Estate, Martin’s bought a Brompton Road portfolio consisting of 15 apartments.
The re-development of 199-209 King’s Road into 5 shops and 9 apartments. 44-46 King’s Road was acquired and developed.
Tom Martin becomes CEO after Peter Martin’s death.
1-6 Clay Street was bought and then sold in 2012.
Chenil House 187 King’s Road was acquired.
Martin’s Properties went on to expand and diversify their portfolio with the purchase of 3 City properties – 130 City Road, 100 Bunhill Road and 140 Old Street.
Development of The Printworks 130 New King’s Road from warehouses and offices into 9 Luxury apartments.
195/197 King’s Road was developed into Luxury flats and restaurant, the later being leased to Caprice Holdings to create The Ivy Chelsea Garden.
Martin’s invested in a further mixed use development site, The Old Sorting House, Essex Road, Islington.
Martin’s entered into a partnership with BlackOnyx, the first residential investment was Wedgwood Villas, Chiswick.
Obsidian Strategic land promotion business formed in partnership with BlackOynx
Office acquisitions in Sevenoaks & Oxford form part of the new strategy.
Richard Bourne appointed as the first non-family Managing Director. Tom Martin becomes Chairman.
The new strategy leads to the company’s first acquisition of an industrial scheme – the forward funding of the 43,000 sq ft Link 23 at Handcross near Gatwick.
With continuous expansion and another sector to break in to, the company’s first hotel was purchased – the 59 bed Travelodge in Alton.